Thank to the pandemic and the rush towards the digital revolution we are seeing not only large machines to harvest farm products but also smartphones involved when it comes to managing crops and other harvests.
“Apps are a modern implement that will position farmers for success and ensure sustainable nutrition for consumers globally,” said David Bergvinson, chief science officer of aWhere at the Global Agriculture Innovation Forum.
These apps are involved in weather, yield metrics, financial services, market access, pest and disease control, fertilizer applications, and farm planning.
Today these apps are not only allowing us to address the challenges involved in agriculture but also moving from the current data-poor environment farmers are operating to a data-intensive enterprise for farming activities.
These apps are offering localized recommendations for farming operations by reducing risks and enhancing the ability to manage natural resources. These help them to drive profits and freeing up their time for other operations.
Agro Apps Features and Technology
Here are some core pillars that are used in the development of agro apps in the agriculture industry.
- Artificial Intelligence – This will help the farmers to optimize farm operations and thereby increasing net returns.
- Tracking Metrics – This will help the farmer in informing farmers about governmental, social, and environmental metrics. Not only this but it will also inform them about premium markets and increase profitability.
- Financial Services – These will help farmers to get insured for weather-based crops and provide credit-based profiling based on past historical production, crops, and soil fertility, etc.
- Security – It will provide increased data governance and security to important documents and transactions.
- Contracted Services – These will help farmers get notified about contracted services offered by private food companies like Mcdonald’s, dominos, and other food retail chain businesses to grow certain types of crops or vegetables.
- End-to-End Services – These features will address the transportation and end connectivity issues faced by the farmers. These will improve customer access of the farmers and thus cut extra costs involved in selling products.
- Next Generation Varieties – This will inform the advancement and introduction of new seeds to farmers. It will provide knowledge in terms of its increase in productivity, reduction in growing costs, maturity time, and other factors. This will help farmers to decide whether they want to make the switch or stay with the old ones.
As we are increasingly facing the risk of climate change and the chances of food shortage, only technology can aid us to make smart decisions. This will not only prevent food shortages but also help us maintain our natural resources.
With the empowerment of the farmers, we will be able to create a sustainable food ecosystem. This will contribute not only to the economy but will help us reduce the inequality issue in society to some extent.
The future will be smarter and data-driven as newer and newer technologies are coming into the picture. Ultimately, benefiting mankind in the long run.